Webinar: Tech Companies' Responsibility in Restoring Election Integrity
Since the introduction of internet use in politics in 1996, technology’s impact on global elections has been significant. The 2016 U.S. election, marked by controversies like Cambridge Analytica's data manipulation, highlighted the dark side of technology in politics and similar threats exist worldwide. Given the role of tech companies in elections and the potential for viral misinformation, deepfakes, foreign influence, and political advertising, transparency and governance are imperative.
In 2024, elections will be held in at least 64 countries (in addition to the European Union). Technology giants like Meta and Microsoft are responding with initiatives to combat deepfakes, enhance political ad transparency, and prevent election interference. However, challenges persist due to downsizing in the tech sector's trust and safety teams and the emergence of new technologies like generative AI. Addressing these concerns is crucial for safeguarding election integrity.
Our 60-minute discussion spotlighted the salient risks and potential impacts of the deployment of AI-driven technologies and the pervasive influence of social media on the global electoral landscape in 2024. We discussed the ongoing engagements of responsible investors in connecting with technology companies, encouraging them to address human rights impacts and fulfill their distinct responsibilities in promoting fair and secure elections.
Our panelists include:
- Alexandra Pardal, Co-Executive Director at Digital Action
- Tim Harper, Senior Policy Analyst, Democracy and Elections at Center for Democracy and Technology
- Jeff Allen, Co-founder and Chief Research Officer at Integrity Institute
- Lauren Compere, Managing Director and Head of Stewardship & Engagement at Boston Common Asset Management
Some resources for reference:
- Seismic Shifts: How Economic, Technological, and Political Trends are Challenging Independent Counter-Election-Disinformation Initiatives in the United States, Center for Democracy and Technology
- 2024: Year of Democracy Inception Phase Report, Digital Action
- Elections Integrity Best Practices: Responsibly Supporting Elections on Online Platforms, Integrity Institute
Watch the full webinar here:
Review the webinar slides here: