On Jan 17th, 2023 the Investor Alliance for Human Rights and Ranking Digital Rights (RDR) explored key trends from the 2022 Telco Giants Scorecard, relevant to the investor community. The Scorecard, released in December 2022, evaluates and ranks 12 of the world's most powerful telecommunications companies on their policies and practices affecting people’s rights to freedom of expression and privacy. Critical questions that were addressed include:
- How transparent are global telcos about what they do to safeguard free expression and privacy?
- In which areas did telcos improve and where did they fall short?
- How strong are their disclosures on responding to government demands for customers' data and orders to shut down the internet in the middle of a protest?
- What risks underpin their own plans to develop artificial intelligence tools and explore new business models such as targeted advertising?
- How do telcos compare to their Big Tech counterparts - companies that command more headlines but often wield far less power over access to digital communication?
You can watch a recording of the webinar and review the presentation slide deck.
If you have any questions or would like to get involved in the ongoing digital rights engagement, please contact Anita Dorett at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also sign-on to our Investor Statement on Corporate Accountability for Digital Rights signed by over 176 investors (representing over US$9.2 trillion in assets) to join the call for greater transparency and accountability by ICT companies.